A Historic Year for NADCP and Treatment Courts!
As 2018 comes to a close, there’s so much to celebrate! Thanks to your tireless efforts, treatment courts continue to be the bedrock of justice system innovation, with countless lives restored, families reunited and communities made safer.
Here are some highlights:
NADCP’s divisions were again hard at work delivering unparalleled training, technical assistance and other resources:
NDCI launched a new training initiative to engage law enforcement officers and led training at state conferences on the importance of equity and inclusion in treatment courts.
NCDC achieved a milestone of training more than 190 DWI court teams in the last five years. NCDC also continued to make drug-impaired driving a priority, launching a multifaceted campaign that culminated in December during National Impaired Driving Prevention Month.
NADCP and you worked hard on Capitol Hill and at the White House. Together, we had the best legislative year in our history:
- Veterans: Authorization of 50 additional Veterans Justice Outreach Officers (VJOs) in the Department of Veterans Affairs
- Drug court funding: Five-year reauthorization of the Bureau of Justice Assistance grant program
- Veterans treatment court funding: Five-year authorization of the Bureau of Justice Assistance grant program
- White House treatment court briefing: Members of the NADCP board of directors, treatment court professionals and graduates were invited to brief Counsel to the President Kellyanne Conway, Surgeon General Jerome Adams and Office of National Drug Control Policy Deputy Director Jim Carroll in the Roosevelt Room on the vital role treatment courts play to address the addiction epidemic and justice reform
- White House signing of landmark treatment legislation: NADCP leadership were invited by the president to attend the signing of HR 6, SUPPORT for Patients and Communities Act, which provides critical resources for opioid and other substance use disorders
All of us at NADCP join in wishing you a wonderful holiday season and a happy new year. We look forward to serving you in 2019!