Submit to the Journal for Advancing Justice
In 2019, NADCP will publish Volume II of the Journal for Advancing Justice. This special edition will be titled “Best Practice Responses to the Justice System’s Opioid Epidemic.”
Supported by a grant from the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy, Volume II of the Journal for Advancing Justice will focus on best and promising practices for addressing opioid use disorders (OUD) in the U.S. justice system in the midst of the opioid crisis sweeping the country. The profound implications of OUD in the justice system require implementing evidence-based evaluation and treatment systems for the treatment of OUD. We are most interested in articles which show data on successful system-wide interventions, implementation strategies for comprehensive programs, and educational efforts which improve the knowledge base of those charged with managing OUD in the justice system: judges, attorneys, probation and parole officers, law enforcement officers, corrections officials, case managers and social workers, and substance use treatment providers.
Examples of the sorts of practical, data-based articles we are looking for include the following:
- Overcoming barriers to implementing medication-assisted treatment (MAT) in criminal justice settings, including jails, prisons, probation and parole programs, and treatment courts
- Effectiveness of MAT for treating OUD in criminal justice settings
- Perceptions of OUD treatment, including MAT, among criminal justice professionals, including judges, probation and parole officers, prosecutors, defense attorneys, and law enforcement officers
- Use of naloxone (brand-name Narcan) in the justice system
- Decreasing post-incarceration overdose deaths and morbidity
- Evidence-based policies for OUD treatment in the justice system
- Training clinicians in the criminal justice system to effectively treat OUD
To submit an article for consideration:
First, review the author guidelines. Then, download and complete the financial conflict of interest attestation and publication and copyright terms of agreement. Finally, complete the submission form below and upload your article and all other required information as indicated. Once your submission is complete, a member of our editorial board will contact you to provide further information.
Submission deadline: February 15, 2019
For additional questions, please contact guest editor Laurence M. Westreich, M.D.