85-95% of addicted prisoners relapse upon release
$60 billion spent annually by our nation's prisons
80% of inmates have a history of drug abuse and 50% are addicted
Prison population explosion in the United States
- FACT: 1 in 100 U.S. citizens is now confined in jail or prison.
- FACT: This burden is borne disporportionately by racial and ethnic minorities.
- 1 out of every 15 African American men
- 1 out of every 36 Hispanic men
- FACT: The U.S. incarcerates more people per capita than 26 of the largest European nations.
Substance abuse connection
- FACT: 80% of offenders abuse alcohol or other drugs.
- FACT: 50% of jail and prison inmates are clinically addicted.
- FACT: 60% of individuals arrested for most types of crimes test positive for illicit drugs at arrest.
Imprisonment has little effect on drug abuse
- FACT: 60 - 80% of drug abusers commit a new crime (typically a drug-driven crime) after release from prison.
- FACT: Approximately 95% return to drug abuse after release from prison.
Accountability is the key
- FACT: Unless they are regularly supervised by a judge, 60 to 80% of addicted offenders drop out of treatment prematurely.